DANGERS OF IMPROPER ELECTRICAL WIRING

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest

Improper electrical wiring at home

Homeowners shouldn’t assume that all is well just because fuses aren’t blowing, circuit breakers tripping or they’re not encountering shocks or smelling burnt plastic. Improper electrical wiring or any of these other defects may be present without you being aware of them, because inside the walls wire insulation could be cracking and crumbling – especially if the wires are drawing current that they weren’t designed to handle. Wood frames above plaster ceilings can also be burnt and charred by light bulbs that are too close to the ceiling and improper electrical wiring.

Homeowners should be aware that anytime you receive a shock from an electrical appliance or outlet in your home, it is a warning that they should speak with a qualified electrician to make sure no improper electrical wiring is present. Another important fact to know is that if a fuse blows or circuit breaker trips rights after being replaced, then you probably have improper electrical wiring somewhere in your house. If lights in your house are flickering or dimming then that could mean that there might be a loose connection, overloaded circuit or other, potentially dangerous, improper electrical wiring.

Dangers of improper electrical wiring

When too much current is drawn, wires heat up, baking and eventually weakening a home’s insulation. In older homes, excessive heat means that too much electrical current is being drawn through the outlets. If the plugs are hot to the touch you may have an overload. Improper electrical wiring with damaged, decayed or brittle insulation can cause shocks or fires.

Signs of improper electrical wiring

It is extremely important to diagnose improper electrical wiring problems as quickly as possible. By finding a significant problem with electrical issues, you can avoid fatal accidents. At worst, improper electrical wiring can be a fire hazard resulting in significant damage. These are a few signs to look out for to diagnose a wiring problem.

  • Switches and wires that are charred or otherwise damaged indicate a short in the system, which will generate large amount of heat and corrosion.
  • Melted wire insulation near a connection point can be indicative of poor wiring.
  • Relatively loose wires in the switchbox can be diagnosed by gently tugging. If they come out, then they are not likely forming a good connection.
  • Dulling of screws near the switch indicate a problem with corrosion, which may be related to a short circuit.

wiringtimeline

 

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.

Share this post with your friends

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
logo-dark - Miami Electrician - WireMasters Electric Inc

SCHEDULE YOUR SERVICE

Google Reviews Wiremasters electric
247-Emergency-Service-Badge-WireMasters-Electric-Miami-Florida
BBB-Logo-wiremasters
Fully 5-star rated & insured wire masters electric